Get a Tree from RG&C
In support of Roslindale Green & Clean’s (RG&C) mission to make Roslindale a greener community, we’re offering you the chance to get a free tree in return for your help and commitment to plant it and care for it in the years to come. Our goal is to plant trees in Roslindale that will be well taken care of and live many years into the future. You don’t need any prior gardening experience, just a willingness to commit to watering the tree regularly, particularly during its first season in the ground.
We’re looking for homeowners, renters, churches, schools, businesses and others who want to plant a tree on their property in a publicly visible place that has the space and sight lines to support a tree intended both to bring pleasure and shade to its owner and to let passers-by enjoy its presence.
Here’s what you need to be eligible to get a free tree from RG&C:
- Interest in having a tree in your front yard or other location that’s publicly visible.
- A minimum of 36 square feet (6′ by 6′ square) of ground space.
- Ability to water weekly for the first spring and summer and as needed after that.
- A commitment to the care and maintenance of the tree over its life of many years.
Please note that RG&C will not be planting sidewalk trees – the City of Boston handles all sidewalk trees.
If you are willing and able to commit to being a responsible tree owner and RG&C approves your application for a tree, RG&C will:
- Provide you with an appropriate tree for your site.
- Assist you with planting your tree.
- Teach you how to care for and water your tree.
Because we have a limited number of trees to offer at this time, RG&C will select tree sites based on its assessment of which applications will have the greatest benefit to Roslindale as a whole.